Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Radiology Oncologist appointment

I had my consultation with the radiology oncologist this morning. She was AWSOME!!! I was promised by a friend that she was cool, and man, this lady was quite awsome. She exaplined a lot, went over the PET scans and discussed a lot of stuff with me. It turned into about a 2 hour appointment talking about all the options, plus she explained a lot of stuff too. Turns out, "nodular sclorosing" gets its name from the scars it leaves behind. Apparently, there aren't that many actually Hodgkin's infected cells, but they make a mess and leave behind these "sclorosing" (or scaring) areas. Interesting :) She also explained to me what the PET scan showed, and staged me at IIA. So thats good. First, b/c now I know, and second, cause II is still in the "really easily treated" bit. In fact, there are really only 4 lymph nodes involved, two on each side of my neck. So thats all good news.

Turns out, the "PET/CT Fusion" scan I had is really good for staging, but doesn't provide the details the radiology oncologist needs for her stuff. Something about it not having enough anatomical detail to aim the radiology stuff. Anyway, what that meant is that I needed to have a real CT scan, and because I had already started chemo, I needed it now while they could still see it. So, at 9:45am they called over to the hospital and got me squeezed in. Then I had to drink two quart sized things of nasty barium liquid. It was the consistency of milk, but tasted HORRIBLE!! I was about gagging on it. Then I had to sit for 2 hours. Then I checked in, but radiology was running late, so I had to wait another 30 minutes or so. Finally they took me in. Then they had to inject some iodine stuff into me, which almost made me ill. Apparently, that is normal. The technician explained to me that you body detects something in the blood it doesn't like, so it naturally assumes it came in through your stomach. If your body figures out that there isn't anything scary in your stomach before you puke, you are lucky. I was lucky.

Anyway, by the time I finished everything, it was 1:30. My office is about 45 minutes away from the hospital. Work 2:15-4:30 or nap? Tough choice.

on that note, my comfy bed calls.


Blogger Gypsy said...

I'm so glad you got some questions answered today. That must be a relief!! And yay about your staging results! Alaska, here you come :-)

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! Glad to hear that you really did catch it really early on! Woo hoo!

And yay for you on not puking!

your personal non-digital assistant

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see things are coming together and the news is positive. Do you see a light at the end of the tunnel finally


7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! I'm so happy that you were able to get some answers finally! Continually sending you positive vibes and of course those include lots of 'no puking' vibes! -Tina

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home